Friday, January 15, 2010

Keep Yourself in God's Love as You Wait...

1.15.10

Waiting.

Everybody knows what it feels like to wait. Even newborns wait to be fed! I know what waiting feels like, but I wanted to know HOW I am supposed to wait. HOW do I wait for God to do things in my son's life that only Jesus will get the glory for? How do I bring God glory in my waiting? THESE are the questions that are on my heart today..these and wonder if Critter making friends, wonder if Critter is doing his quiet time, and wonder what I could have done different, or better, or longer, or not at all...maybe you are asking some of these same questions about situations in your life that you KNOW God has allowed to filter through His fingers of love.

I looked up the definition of wait online, " to remain inactive or in a state of repose, until something expected happens; to be available or in readiness; and to look forward to eagerly." THEN I checked to see what the Bible says about waiting. Jude 1:21 tells us to "Keep yourself in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life." The Message version of the Bible says, "Staying right at the center of God's love, keeping your arms open and outstretched, ready for the mercy of Jesus Christ." I am to wait IN God's love. The Greek word for waiting means to give access to one's self and to expect a fulfillment of a promise. I have to give Jesus access to the real me and wait WITH Him as I hope in His promises. 1 Corinthians 13 tells me that the love I am to wait in is a perfect, agape love. A love that never gives up, trusts God always, always looks for the best, NEVER LOOKS BACK, keeps going to the end and never dies! WOW! The ONLY way to wait in perfect love is to wait in Jesus!

Psalms 27:14 says, "Wait for the Lord; be strong, take heart and wait for the Lord." Another version says, "Stay with God. Take heart! Don't quit! Stay with God!" I disagree with the dictionary's definition of waiting being 'inactive'. I believe 1 Cor 13:13 tells us what we are to do as we wait in God's love...
* trust steadily in God
* hope unswervingly
* love extravagantly
"and the best of these three is love."

And so for today, I choose to keep myself "right in the center of God's love" by keeping His Words, His Promises, and His Presence on my mind and my heart. I am however, still wondering if Critter is brushing his teeth...:)

1 comment:

Gayla D'Hollosy said...

Teri, you are already giving God glory by sharing your heart with your friends and family. I am so blessed by your writing and how God is already revealing Himself to you as you wait. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your heart and for allowing me to be a part of this journey with you. I am praying for you and your family and that Critter is going to experience God in a miraculous way over these upcoming weeks. Love you!!!